Each recovery process after a breast lift procedure varies from one individual to another and may be influenced by a variety of factors such as age, lifestyle, position of the incision, and whether or not existing health conditions were present before the procedure was done. Nevertheless, here’s a quick look of what to expect after your breast lift surgery here at our Houston breast enhancement surgery practice.
Immediately After Surgery
General anesthesia is often administered in a breast lift procedure. This means you will most likely feel disoriented, nauseous, or groggy by the time you wake up from surgery. In addition, it is very important that you have someone drive you home and probably stay with you for the first few days following surgery.
You will go home with a surgical bra or elastic bandage over gauze dressings and may be replaced with a soft support bra in the next few days.
Swelling may be present and may result to numbness in your nipples and the surrounding breast tissue. By and large, the swelling will subside in the next 6-8 weeks. In some cases, it may persist for months.
Helpful Tips to Help You Recover Quickly and Safely
- Get sufficient amounts of rest and sleep. Sleep is your body’s way of recharging and boosting immunity. The less amount of sleep you get, the greater your chances of delayed healing.
- You may not be allowed to take a shower unless the bandages come off as they should not be soaked. You should get used to having sponge baths until Dr. Cortes tells you so.
- Take medications as prescribed and stick to it.
- Limit arm extension movements and refrain from raising your elbows higher than your armpit during the first 3 to 5 days following surgery.
- You will most likely be able to return to work or school within 10 days after the procedure but this does not include work that requires heavy lifting. By and large, you should wait for Dr. Cortes’ go-signal that you can already return to your usual routine.
Generally, the aforementioned are just a bird’s eye view of what to expect and what you need to do following surgery. For the specific things to expect based on your personal needs, lifestyle, and type of breast lift, call us at 713.234.6244 or fill out this contact form to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Cortes. We look forward to your visit!